(Proposed by Initiative Petition)
To enact Chapter 3794. of the Ohio Revised Code to restrict smoking in places of employment and most places open to the public.
The proposed law would:
* Prohibit smoking in public places and places of employment;
* Exempt from the smoking restrictions certain locations, including private residences (except during the hours that the residence operates as a place of business involving non-residents of the private residence), designated smoking rooms in hotels, motels, and other lodging facilities; designated smoking areas for nursing home residents; retail tobacco stores, outdoor patios, private clubs, and family-owned and operated places of business;
* Authorize a uniform statewide minimum standard to protect workers and the public from secondhand tobacco smoke;
* Allow for the declaration of an establishment, facility, or outdoor area as nonsmoking;
* Require the posting of "No Smoking" signs, and the removal of all ashtrays and similar receptacles from any area where smoking is prohibited;
* Specify the duties of the department of health to enforce the smoking restrictions
* Create in the state treasury the "smoke free indoor air fund;"
* Provide for the enforcement of the smoking restrictions and for the imposition of civil fines upon anyone who violates the smoking restrictions.
A majority yes vote is necessary for passage.
SHALL THE PROPOSED LAW BE ADOPTED?