A fifth grader at Sharpsburg Elementary School in Norwood stopped breathing on Tuesday after he choked on his lunch and he's giving credit to his best friend and principal for saving his life.
Jacob Neely and James Harkins have been best friends since kindergarten and after Monday's heroic efforts, put their friendship on a whole new level.
As the two were eating corn dogs at lunch, Jacob began choking, "I guess I took too big of a bite I tried to swallow, but I was choking and couldn't breathe."
Jacob was pointing at his mouth indicating that he couldn't breathe and began gasping for air.
It was then that best friend James grabbed Jacob and gave him the Heimlich Maneuver. Principal Brad Winterod was walking through the lunchroom at the time on a mobile phone call to the school office.
"I flipped my phone and looked and saw James behind Jacob," said Winterod who thought the two were fighting. "then I figured out he was choking so hopped over the little blue table."
Winterod then began administering the Heimlich himself, three pulls to Jacob's abdomen. Those three tugs were enough to dislodge the piece of corn dog and Winterod pulled it out.
Jacob's mother, Angela Neely, praised Winterod for his quick thinking and gave him flowers as a thank you for saving her son, "it was just that everyone was in the right place at the right time to help Jacob out and we are very thankful and fortunate."
Jacob said that he has learned his lesson and would take smaller bites of food and never eat corn dogs again, well maybe not never.
Report: Meghan Mongillo