Charges Dropped Against Autistic Student Accused Of Assault - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Charges Dropped Against Autistic Student Accused Of Assault

(BROOKSVILLE, KY) --

Update: 3 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 25:

Nathan Darnell's family  has confirmed to FOX19 that charges in this case have been dropped.

Original story:

A 6-year-old Bracken County kindergartener faces assault charges after a teacher's aide says he attacked her.

His parents say that yes, their son did fight with the aide, but only because the child is autistic. FOX19's Sara Gouedy has the story.

Nathan Darnell colors like most boys his age, and loves to draw. His parents say that often you can't tell he's autistic. He has a high functioning form of autism.

According court records, earlier this month, at Taylor Elementary, where Nathan was taking regular kindergarten classes, teacher's aid Glenda Schultz said he pulled her backwards onto the floor and hit and kicked her.

She had a cut and bruises, but did not get medical attention.

Now, Nathan's been charged with 4th degree assault.

Bracken County superintendent Tony Johnson declined to comment about the case, saying it had been handled by the school.

Nathan's parents say it's likely he acted out.

"He gets agressive at home and you have to find ways to deal appropriately with him instead of twisting him to what's appropriate for his age," said Anthony Darnell, Nathan's father.

Anthony Darnell says that's why the assault charge doesn't seem to make sense.

"Where's the burden of proof if you're gonna accuse a 6 year old child? the court system had no way of helping an autistic child," he said.

The Darnells have pulled Nathan out of the school.

FOX 19 also tried to reach the teacher's aide and prosecutors today. with no luck.

Either way, this one's for the courts to decide. There's already been a preliminary hearing, and Nathan's family is scheduled to be back in court again Sept. 25.

FOX19.com staff

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Chrissy Teigen and John Legend reveal name of newborn son

    Chrissy Teigen and John Legend reveal name of newborn son

    Sunday, May 20 2018 6:11 PM EDT2018-05-20 22:11:39 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:53 AM EDT2018-05-21 14:53:01 GMT
    (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Tuesday, April 24, 2018, file photo, Chrissy Teigen, left, and John Legend attend City Harvest's 35th Anniversary Gala at Cipriani 42nd Street on  in New York. Teigen and Legend now have a baby bo...(Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Tuesday, April 24, 2018, file photo, Chrissy Teigen, left, and John Legend attend City Harvest's 35th Anniversary Gala at Cipriani 42nd Street on in New York. Teigen and Legend now have a baby bo...
    Chrissy Teigen and John Legend now have a baby boy to go with their toddler girl.Full Story >
    Chrissy Teigen and John Legend now have a baby boy to go with their toddler girl.Full Story >
  • NYPD probing sex allegations against Mario Batali

    NYPD probing sex allegations against Mario Batali

    Sunday, May 20 2018 11:01 PM EDT2018-05-21 03:01:49 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 14:52:59 GMT
    (Photo by Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Wednesday, April 19, 2017, file photo, chef Mario Batali attends an awards event in New York. The New York Police Department is investigating allegations of sexual misconduct leveled celebrit...(Photo by Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Wednesday, April 19, 2017, file photo, chef Mario Batali attends an awards event in New York. The New York Police Department is investigating allegations of sexual misconduct leveled celebrit...

    The NYPD confirmed the probe following a "60 Minutes" broadcast Sunday night in which an unnamed woman accused the celebrity chef of drugging and sexually assaulting her in 2005.

    Full Story >

    The NYPD confirmed the probe following a "60 Minutes" broadcast Sunday night in which an unnamed woman accused the celebrity chef of drugging and sexually assaulting her in 2005.

    Full Story >
  • 'Deadpool 2' ends Avengers' box-office reign, rakes in $125M

    'Deadpool 2' ends Avengers' box-office reign, rakes in $125M

    Sunday, May 20 2018 1:11 PM EDT2018-05-20 17:11:39 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:23 AM EDT2018-05-21 14:23:48 GMT
    (Joe Lederer/Twentieth Century Fox via AP, File). FILE - This image released by Twentieth Century Fox shows Shioli Kutsuna, left, and Brianna Hildebrand in a scene from "Deadpool 2." Fox’s “Deadpool 2” brought in $125 million according to studio estima...(Joe Lederer/Twentieth Century Fox via AP, File). FILE - This image released by Twentieth Century Fox shows Shioli Kutsuna, left, and Brianna Hildebrand in a scene from "Deadpool 2." Fox’s “Deadpool 2” brought in $125 million according to studio estima...

    Deadpool and his foul-mouthed crew of misfits and malcontents have taken down the Avengers.

    Full Story >

    Deadpool and his foul-mouthed crew of misfits and malcontents have taken down the Avengers.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly