Coroner: Children Died From Smoke Inhalation - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Coroner: Children Died From Smoke Inhalation

(CINCINNATI) -- The Hamilton County coroner has released the official cause of death of three of the Veillette children killed in a fire in their Mason home on Jan. 11.

Dr. O'dell Owens says Marguerite, Mia and Vincent Veillette all died of carbon monoxide due to smoke inhalation. He says he is still awaiting results from other gases such as cyanide, which also may have contributed to their deaths.

The Warren County coroner's office says Jacob, 4, died of smoke inhalation also.

Owens said they did not have any stab wounds, unlike their mother, Nadya. The Warren County coroner ruled that Nadya died of multiple stab wounds.

He says the children were not burned by the flames of the fire, but were burned by the heat of the flames. According to Owens, Marguerite, 8, had burns to 90 percent of her body, Mia, 2, had 70 percent and Vincent, 4, 10 percent. The about of carbon monoxide in them ranged from 30 to 42 percent, well above average. Owens said they would not have suffered from their burns because they had already died of smoke inhalation. He assumes they were sleeping at the time.

Owens said toxicology reports reveal the children did not have any drugs or alcohol in their systems.

The coroner's office originally thought that Vincent Veillette died at the scene and Jacob Veillette was taken to the hospital, however, family members have positively identified the brothers and it was determined that it was Jacob who died at the scene.

Their father, Michel Veillette, is accused of stabbing Nadya then setting the house on fire. He is being charged with their deaths.

Hamilton County performed those three autopsies because the children died at Bethesda Hospital, which is in Hamilton County. Nadya's and Jacob's autopsies were performed by Warren County.

Owens said their clothes have been taken by the fire marshal to be inspected for an accelerate.

FOX19.com staff

Powered by Frankly