Community Rallies Around Delhi Family Who Lost Home In Fire

(DELHI, OH) -- Tremendous support is coming from local individuals and businesses for the family who escaped a fire in their home with only the clothes on their backs this weekend.

The family was blessed with a second set of triplets back in August and now they've lost almost everything they have.

FOX19's Corey McConnell has the latest.

Biggs in Western Hills and also the ones in Delhi are donating five percent of their sales on Thursday to the Lasita family.

And they're not the only ones reaching out to this family who was down on their luck and took another major blow this weekend.

It was just after three in the morning on Sunday when Connie Galvin says her neighbor Tim Lasita came begging for help getting his six kids out of his burning home.

"He just screamed in a panic that the house was on fire, please call 911," said Galvin.

All of the Lasitas, two sets of triplets, 4 years old and 5 months old, an older child, Tim and his wife, Victoria, got out OK

Tim Lasita returned to what's left of his home Monday morning.

"He just bowed his head and sobbed a little bit. He knows he has to go on. They are a strong willed family. They do what they have to do hour by hour, day by day. They are survivors," said Galvin.

The Lasitas are currently fighting to keep their home after missing a few mortgage payments when the second set of triplets were born in August, and now there's almost nothing left to fight for. But friends say they'll find a way.

"They will do anything in the world for anybody absolutely love their children, absolutely love their children," said Galvin.

At Our Lady of Victory Church Sunday morning, where the Lasitas are parishioners, the collection went to the Lasita family, and the church has been taking calls ever since from people wanting to help.

At Once Upon a Child, they've had people buying clothes and looking for cribs, car seats, anything the Lasitas might need.

"Anything from our clearance will go to them," said Zita Feist with Once Upon A Child.

The Delhi Township Fire Department says the family most likely got out OK because they didn't try to fight the fire. Tim Lasita woke his family up and immediately got them out of the house, which likely saved their lives.

Investigators say it looks like a space heater in the garage is most likely to blame for the cause of the fire.