- 2 Whole Ducks
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Bouquet garni
- 8 oz Medley of Mushrooms (Shiitake, Portobello, Oyster)
- 2 cups Dark Grapes
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1 bunch Parsley
- 2 Shallots
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Polenta
- 1 cup Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 2 cups Duck Stock
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 1/2 tbs Cracked Black Peppercorn
- Butter, Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt and Pepper
Step I: MAKE THE STOCK
Take the breast and the leg from the duck. Marinate the duck breast with 1/2 cup Woodford Reserve for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Take the carcasses and make the stock. Roast duck carcass in 400° F oven for 40 minutes. Place carcass in large sauce pan with onion, carrot and bouquet garni. Deglaze roasting pan and add to sauce pan. Cover with cold water, bring to boil, and reduce to simmer. Simmer 1 hour; skim stock. Strain stock, reduce to 3 cups.
Step II: MAKE THE GARNISH
- Duck Leg-Season the duck leg with salt, pepper, thyme and a splash of Woodford Reserve. Roast them in 350° F oven for 30-40 minutes until the meat falls off the bone; shred meat. Keep warm, by covering with foil.
- Soft Polenta-Bring 2 cups of chicken stock to a boil. Add polenta and cook slowly for 20 minutes. Add some butter and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- Medley of Mushrooms-Cut all mushrooms the same way. Chop one shallot and parsley. Saute mushrooms with olive oil. Add shallots and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Keep aside warm.
- Cut each grape in half and saute with butter until soft. Keep warm.
Step III: MAKE THE SAUCE
Saute one chopped shallot and 1 tbs of cracked black pepper with butter. Cook slowly. Add honey. Cook until caramel consistency. Add splash of vinegar and Woodford Reserve. Reduce by 75%. Then add 2 cups of duck stock. Reduce if needed. Add grapes. Mount with butter. Salt to taste. Keep warm.
Step IV: PROGRESSION
Preheat oven to 375° F. Season duck breast, saute in an oven proof saute pan on skin side over high heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn breast skin side up. Place pan in oven; roast for 8 minutes for medium rare. Remove from oven and let rest. Keep warm, cover with foil if necessary. Add mushroom and duck leg meat to polenta. Add parmesan cheese to polenta.