VEGETARIAN BISTRO PASTA
This is a great quick supper for during the week, or for casual entertaining. Merlot, Chianti or a hearty Burgundy wine would go well with this. Serve with crusty bread that you've heated in a 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Now this recipe serves two but I usually double it for my family. Eating whole wheat products is good - our bodies absorb whole wheat slower so we feel more full and we don't get a rush of carbs like white pasta. Plus whole wheat has Vitamin E.
This recipe can be doubled easily.
- 1/2 pound whole wheat bow tie, lily or penne pasta,cooked according to package directions
- While pasta is boiling, make sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 can, 14.5 oz, crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dry oregano, or more to taste
- 1 can, 16 oz, beans of your choice: cannellini, kidney, red, black, great northern, chickpeas, etc.
- 2-3 cups cut up Napa cabbage or your choice of greens
- Salt to taste
- Romano cheese, shredded