Roads reopened following gas leak in Covington

(COVINGTON, KY) -- A gas leak caused some excitement around Greenup Streets between Eighth and Ninth in Covington.

It happened Friday morning in front of the Northern Kentucky Recreation Center.

Police say a Duke contractor accidentally hit a gas line, causing relief valves to open, releasing pressure and causing a strong gas smell.

A few surrounding buildings were evacuated, but no was was injured.

Greenup St. was shut off for several hours, but is now reopened.