Grilled Avocado with Mediterranean Salad
Del Monte Fresh Produce and Chef Chris Koetke, Dean of the School of Culinary Arts at Kendall College in Chicago, have partnered to develop recipes for appetizers, entrees, sides and desserts that help people enjoy fresh fruits from the grill. A grilling menu that features fruit is an easy way to add a sweet, crisp, distinct and delicious flavor to meals on hot summer days.
- ripe Del Monte® avocados, halved with pits removed
- 1 cup diced ripe Del Monte® tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Additional salt and pepper for seasoning avocados
- Additional olive oil to brush on avocados
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, red peppers, feta, vinegar, olive oil, green onion, salt, pepper and parsley. (Do not make in advance and refrigerate since this mixture should be served at room temperature.)
- Rub lemon juice on the surface of the avocado halves. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Season the avocado halves with salt and pepper. Brush with additional olive oil.
- Grill avocado halves flesh side down over high heat for several minutes. Once the flesh has deep grill marks, turn halves over, reduce heat to low and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes. The avocados are done with they are hot and soft all the way through.
- Place each avocado half on a plate. Mound the tomato/red pepper/feta mixture on top of the avocados and serve immediately.
FOX19 RECIPES PRESENTED BY: