UPDATE: Arrest made after shot fired at NKU

Timothy Stone (Courtesy: Hamilton County Sheriff's Department)
Timothy Stone (Courtesy: Hamilton County Sheriff's Department)


UPDATE: Police have made an arrest after a gunshot was fired this week on the campus of NKU.

Forest Park Police arrested Timothy Stone Thursday night.

He is being held in the Hamilton County Justice Center, awaiting extradition back to Kentucky.

Meanwhile, some students and parents are upset the school did not activate its emergency alert system to notify students of the incident.

However, school officials say it wasn't necessary because of the time of the day the shooting occurred. They say students did receive an e-mail notification.

"We were very fortunate, if you can say that, that it occurred so late at night, at four in the morning," said Chief Harold Todd with the NKU Police Department. "I call the campus being on lockdown already. All the building are locked at night, there was no one on campus and there was no walking about or on campus to sent information to, or where to go for there safety."

UPDATE: The Northern Kentucky University Police Department has obtained an arrest warrant for Timothy A. Stone of Cincinnati, Ohio, for attempted murder and first degree wanton endangerment based on the incident that occurred in Callahan Residence Hall early Wednesday morning.

NKU spokesman Chris Cole says University Police has sought the most serious charges possible in order to communicate how seriously the university responds to anyone who brings a firearm onto campus property.

The shooting was a result of a confrontation between two male non-students and a female student. Officials say the femail student will be subject to internal disciplinary proceedings according to the NKU Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.


A single gunshot was fired in a dorm room at Northern Kentucky University early Wednesday morning and police were looking for people involved in the incident, according to a statement from the university.

No injuries have been reported at the campus, which is just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati.

Campus police received a 911 call about a suspected gunshot at Callahan Residence Hall just after 4 a.m. Wednesday, university spokesman Chris Cole said.

According to Cole's statement, a female student and two male non-students were in a room in the dorm when a former boyfriend of the female entered the room and "became involved in a physical confrontation with one of the males inside."

The former boyfriend is not an NKU student. During the confrontation, a bullet was fired through an outside window.

A .25 caliber shell casing was found in the room. NKU President Jim Votruba said during a Board of Regents meeting that a student was "cooperating with campus police," The Kentucky Enquirer reported on its Web site.

Students received an e-mail from the university about the shooting, Cole said. He said firearms are banned on the campus.

University police went to the dormitory and checked the building after being called by a student who heard the noise. Police determined from security videos that the people involved had left the building and there was no threat to other students.

Police have not released the identities of any suspects.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)