Recommendations that can avoid a visit from the plumber over the holiday:
- Never pour fats or cooking oils down the drain. They solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and throw in the trash.
- No stringy, fibrous waste in the garbage disposal ( poultry skins, celery, fruit and potato peels). Disposals cant sufficiently grind these items.
- Make sure disposal is running when you put food into it. Don't wait until it's full to turn on.
- Wait ten minutes between showers so slow drains have time to do their job.
- Never flush cotton balls, swabs, hair or facial scrub pads down a toilet. They don't dissolve and they cause clogs.
- If you need a plumber, call before the holidays to avoid delays and holiday service charges.