Fumes from bedbug remover sparks fire

Posted by Trina Kinstler - email

BOND HILL, OH (FOX19) - A Bond Hill home was damaged in a fire on Sunday night.

Flames broke out in the 7300 block of Scottwood Ave. around 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

When fire crews arrived, they found heavy black smoke coming from the second floor of the single-family home.

Investigation revealed the fire started in a bedroom when the occupant of the home was treating the room for bedbugs with a 70 percent alcohol and bug killer solution. She entered the room to move the mattress while she was in there, lit a cigarette. Investigators say the fumes in the bedroom ignited and caught the mattress on fire. The occupant tried to put out the fire herself and was unsuccessful.

She and all other occupants escaped the home safely. The fire was quickly brought under control and confined to the bedroom with smoke damage to the entire second floor and attic. Damage is estimated at $30,000. The Red Cross is assisting the two adults and one infant displaced by the fire.