Red Velvet Cupcakes
3/4 cup butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-oz. bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
1½ cups buttermilk
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
1½ tsp. vinegar
Small chocolate heart-shaped cookies (optional)
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium speed after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Top with small chocolate cookies, if desired. Dust with powdered sugar.
1 pkg. (16.5 oz.) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbs. bittersweet chocolate, melted
1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1. Preheat oven to 3500 F. Using an electric mixer beat first three ingredients for one minute. Shape dough into a disk; place between two pieces of wax paper. Roll out to ¼" thickness.
- 2. Using 3" heart-shaped cutter, cut out 20 hearts, rerolling scraps. Using 1½" heart-shaped cutter, cut out center of 10 cookies. Place on baking sheets. Bake whole hearts for 10 minutes and "window" hearts for 8 minutes. Let cookies cool completely.
- 3. Drizzle melted chocolate over window cookies. Spread jam over whole cookies; top with chocolate-drizzled cookies.
Valentine Fortune Cookies
Chilled 9-inch piecrust
3-inch-wide round cookie cutter or drinking glass
Rolling pin or glass