Father, 3-year-old dead; 7-year-old in critical condition after being found unconscious in garage

‘Horrific accident' unfolds Wednesday morning in Kentucky suburb
Police were called to the 9900 block of Plaudit Way around 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, according to...
Police were called to the 9900 block of Plaudit Way around 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, according to MetroSafe.(WAVE 3 News)
Updated: Nov. 28, 2018 at 6:15 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A father and his 3-year-old son died and his 7-year-old daughter is in critical condition after they were found unconscious inside a small garage in suburban Louisville.

Police were called to the 9900 block of Plaudit Way, in Valley Station, around 9 a.m. Wednesday, Louisville Metro Police Department Lt. Emily McKinley said.

“The car was inside the garage, the children appeared to be inside the car and the male was outside of the car,” McKinley said. “It appeared to be that he had warmed the car up while it was in the garage, and trying to get the kids out the door to school and start the day."

Police said the father didn’t show up for work and the 7-year-old didn’t show up for school, so concerned family members went to the house.

All three family members were taken to Southwest Hospital, where the father and 3-year-old were pronounced dead. The 7-year-old was taken from Southwest Hospital to Norton Children’s Hospital.

“Appears to be a horrific accident,” McKinley said. “This is just a reminder in the cold months to be cautious of running vehicles inside of closed, indoor areas, specifically garages. Be aware of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. That is what this appears to be at this time.”

Police said the mother had already left for work when it happened. Neighbors said the family was always nice and helpful.

“This is not my neighbor; this is my friend,” said Joan Johnson, who lives next door and said she would see the family all the time. "(The boy) would walk behind his daddy, behind that lawn mower. He was timid but, he wanted to play. Such a precious family. This is awful.”

Added neighbor Cathy Hupp: “It’s very heartbreaking because you don’t want to see that happen to anyone’s family."

Alfred Beasy lives across street and sold the house to the family that’s been living there.

“That has two doors to the garage; it’s like a drive through,” Beasy said. “I don’t know why he would have them both down. I know it was cold.”

Investigators said the carbon monoxide levels were so high that they had to wait a while before they could go inside. It’s not known how long the car had been running inside the garage.

Police are reminding people about the dangers of carbon monoxide, which you can find out about here.

Copyright 2018 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.