CINCINNATI, OH (CINCINNATI ENQUIRER/FOX19) - Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley is considering filing a lawsuit against the Millennium Hotel Cincinnati - one of the city’s main convention hotels, according to our media partners at the Cincinnati Enquirer.
The mayor has consulted with Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters about filing a lawsuit that would declare the hotel at 150 W. Fifth St. a nuisance property, a spokeswoman for Deters’ office confirmed Tuesday.
So far, no action has been taken.
“We are looking into the Millennium situation, but we haven’t filed anything yet,’’ the spokeswoman said.
But a nuisance lawsuit could potentially shut down the hotel – located directly across Elm Street from the Duke Energy Convention Center – just as the spring and summer convention season starts to heat up.
The 872-room hotel is owned by a Chinese investment group and part of the London-based Millennium & Copthorne Hotels chain.
“The owner lives in China and I believe he is not all that interested in repairing that hotel. He doesn’t live in this community, so he doesn’t see the impact every day, like some of the rest of us do," Hamilton County Commissioner Denise Driehaus said.
Calls and emails to the hotel’s local and national management offices were not immediately returned for comment.
City officials have complained about the hotel for years, and have attempted to get the owners to remodel or sell it.
“Those negotiations have not led us to any kind of productive conclusion," Driehaus said.
Online reviews from guests are mixed.
But even many of the positive reviews say the hotel could use updating.
“Good location. You get what you pay for. Room was clean, bathroom was small and dated. The whole place needs some TLC.,’’ read one Google review.
Officials with the Cincinnati USA Convention & Visitors Bureau declined to comment on a possible lawsuit against the Millennium.
But Julie Calvert, president and CEO of the convention and visitors bureau, said the best solution to any concerns about accommodations near the convention center would be to build a new hotel.
"We are fully focused on building a new headquarters hotel. As an organization and Board of Directors, we have our full attention squarely focused on the prospect of a new, best-in-class contemporary property to anchor our convention product,'' Calvert wrote in a statement.
Mayor John Cranley released this statement:
“The Millennium hotel continues to be a big problem for our City and the entire region. I spoke with Prosecutor Deters again today about his intent to file a public nuisance lawsuit. Simultaneously, we are also pursuing alternative hotel locations for convention-sized accommodations.”