Clermont Co SWAT standoff suspect in custody

Clermont Co SWAT standoff suspect in custody
A Washington Township fire trucks leaves the scene of an overnight SWAT standoff in Clermont County Tuesday morning. (PHOTO: FOX19 NOW/Mike Woeste)

WASHINGTON TWP., Ohio (FOX19) - A gunman is under arrest after a SWAT standoff ended peacefully early Tuesday, according to the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office.

Isaac Taylor Howes, 20, will be taken to the county jail from the scene at his Washington Township residence in the 2900 block of Kinnett Road, said Chief Deputy Chris Stratton.

It was not immediately clear what charges Howes will face, according to Stratton.

Authorities believe Howes fired a gunshot inside the house before the SWAT team arrived about 2:30 a.m. No shots were fired at law enforcement or other first responders, Stratton said.

A negotiator with the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office patiently tried for hours to coax Howes out for hours after his brother reported he was “was going nuts and had a gun," a dispatch supervisor tells FOX19 NOW.

The man shot a round through a ceiling, a police communication report states.

“I was just chilling out with my brother and some friends tonight, I had a few beers, my brother’s been going through some stuff and some difficulties and it seems like he’s going overboard now," the man’s brother told the dispatcher, according to a recording of the call released Tuesday.

"My buddy owns guns, but he seemed really fine for a while and he kept one of my buddy’s guns and we just heard a shot. He’s threatening people and he just keeps going over the edge and we don’t know what do, so....”

He was believed to be alone inside the home during the standoff.

This standoff came to a much different end than, tragically, one earlier this year in which a 20-year veteran deputy with the sheriff’s office was killed in the line of duty.

Bill Brewer, 42, was shot to death during a standoff with a gunman at a Piece Township apartment complex Feb. 2. He behind a wife and young son.

‘Bill gave his life as he lived it: As a hero’

A second deputy, Lt. Nick DeRose, was shot in the ankle and wounded.

Prosecutors say the suspect, Wade Edward Winn, feigned suicide and “was waiting in ambush” when Brewer and other officers went to the apartment to try to help him.

The tragedy hit the community and sheriff’s office hard, but deputies are continuing to do their jobs day in and day out protecting and serving the community they love.

“I’m so proud of them for answering these calls of service each time without hesitation," Sheriff Steve Leahy said.

Copyright 2019 WXIX. All rights reserved.