Coronavirus testing sites possibly coming back to NKY, gov. Beshear says

Gov. Beshear gives update on coronavirus in Kentucky

FRANKFORT., Ky (FOX19) - More coronavirus testing could be back soon in Northern Kentucky, Governor Andy Beshear announced on Thursday.

While the governor didn’t offer any specifics on the possible return of testing to the area, he did say they are currently working on the plan.

Earlier this month, the Kenton County site conducted almost 850 coronavirus tests at its drive-thru facility.

Kenton County continues to see a rise in its coronavirus cases day-by-day.

On Thursday, the Northern Kentucky Health Department reports 13 more coronavirus cases in Kenton County.

Overall, Kenton County now has 258 cases.

Here’s a breakdown of the other counties in the area, per NKY Health’s data:

  • Boone County - 10 new cases, 139 total
  • Campbell County - Two new cases, 88 total
  • Grant County - Zero new cases, 20 total

174 new coronavirus cases and five more deaths were reported by Governor Beshear on Thursday.

Kentucky’s total number of cases is 4,708.

The death toll in the state is now 240.

Not included in this original plan were childcare services and public pools.

Gov. Beshear spoke a little bit more on both of those Thursday.

Childcare services might be included in the second phase of reopening later this summer.

The governor says the exposure to spread the virus within these areas is very high.

“We have to provide a safe environment for kids,” Governor Beshear explained.

As for public, communal, and apartment pools, the governor says those will not be reopening anytime soon.

Also announced on Thursday, SNAP food benefits can be used for online orders at Amazon and Walmart.

“This is good. This is going to provide an extra level of safety. It’s something we’ve been working on for a long time,” the Governor said. “We got over 600,000 individuals on SNAP who we want to make sure they can take advantage of this in their communities.”

Copyright 2020 WXIX. All rights reserved.