Around 10 arrested in early Sunday protests, organizers asked people to disperse ahead of curfew

Protesters march the streets of downtown Cincinnati on day 3 of protests

CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Police made around 10 arrests on 12th Street in Over-the-Rhine Sunday evening in the first indication the day’s peaceful protests had turned a corner.

The protesters returned to Inwood Park around 7 p.m., where the protest began Sunday afternoon.

The protest’s organizers issued the following statement shortly before 8 p.m.

"The organizers have officially called an end to the event and asking people to disperse. Anything that happens beyond this is not at a sanctioned event of our group. We have pulled marshals and medics from the protest so we are no longer sanctioning any event and doing so is at your own risk.”

The city-wide curfew began at 9 p.m.

Hours earlier, an incident sparked tensions near 12th and Main Streets, where a man was taken into custody around 5:45 p.m. The cause of the arrest remains unclear.

Afterward, police formed a mobile barricade of bicycles, as they have done previous days, and issued notice to the protesters that their assembly had become illegal.

Police gave protesters a minute to disband and threatened arrests, though they remained in formation and did not take further action.

Several of the protesters urged the others to move back and comply with police orders.

Then some protesters threw projectiles at the police. At that point, police moved forward with one officer firing a volley of what appeared to be paintballs at a protester.

After police took more people into custody, an altercation broke out among the protesters around 12th and Walnut Streets with some accusing others of being Antifa agitators from out-of-state.

“If you’re not from Cincinnati, get out!” one of the protesters said.

Full video of the altercations and arrests can be found here.

Federal officials also expressed concerns Sunday that extremist groups had infiltrated police brutality protests across the country and deliberately tipped largely peaceful demonstrations toward violence.

Prior to the arrests, the Cincinnati protest had remained peaceful with demonstrates chanting “No Justice, No Peace!” and “I Can’t Breathe!” outside City Hall and as they marched through Downtown Cincinnati.

Protesters left Inwood Park around 4:20 p.m. and began making their way down Vine Street.

Copyright 2020 WXIX. All rights reserved.