Dozens arrested after Cincinnati curfew takes effect

Updated: Jun. 2, 2020 at 6:37 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Police said they made 40 to 50 arrests in downtown Cincinnati and in Over-the-Rhine Monday night as the city’s curfew took effect.

Otherwise, the area was calm, police say.

Those arrested were mostly charged with curfew violation, court records show.

They were booked into the Hamilton County Justice Center overnight and were scheduled to appear in court Tuesday morning.

Some already have posted bond and been released but still must return for court, jail officials say.

The first arrests took place around 7:50 p.m. Monday.

Police say four people in a car were detained at the intersection of Court and Main Streets after one of them pointed a gun at a security guard with a media outlet. Two guns were recovered from their car, police say.

CPD Chief Eliot Isaac said the guns were an AR-15 with a 100-round magazine and a Glock.

Protesters around city hall scattered following those initial arrests.

The city’s curfew began at 8 p.m.

Around 30 minutes later, police made a slew of arrests in Over-the-Rhine’s Mohawk region northwest of Rhinegeist, including briefly handcuffing reporter Pat Brennan from the Enquirer.

Monday’s protests began at 1 p.m. outside the Hamilton County Courthouse. Protesters then marched to City Hall and CPD’s District 1 headquarters before venturing to Fountain Square shortly after 7 p.m., then back to the courthouse.

Isaac spoke Monday night about his conversations with protesters, in doing so referencing the city’s collaborative agreement:

“The people I spent the most time talking with this afternoon are college kids, and there is so much they are not aware of that we do and that has already been done, and they are asking me about things we have done quite a while ago. So making sure they understand what has happened, what reforms have been made, and what reforms still need to be made.”

At District 1 Friday prior to the curfew, Isaac engaged protesters and took a knee as they cheered.

Previously Monday, Hamilton County Sheriff Jim Neil took a knee before protesters outside the Hamilton County Courthouse.

Isaac said Monday 307 people were arrested over the weekend.

Friday and Saturday featured protests that began peacefully and ended in violence, with broken windows, damaged property and looting of business taking place in neighborhoods across urban basin and uptown.

A curfew imposed Saturday throughout Downtown, Over-the-Rhine and the West End compelled protesters up toward Clifton and Corryville that night.

Sunday’s curfew turned city-wide, and its protests featured more police arrests and few instances of property damage.

Copyright 2020 WXIX. All rights reserved.