CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Two Cincinnati Reds players have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the team.
Neither of these players is currently in Cincinnati, the team said.
The two players actually tested positive for the virus prior to reporting to Cincinnati for workouts, FOX19 NOW Sports Jeremy Rauch reported.
Players were scheduled to arrive in the city on July 1 for the start of preseason workouts.
Reds Manager David Bell told FOX19 NOW he thinks the team has been very prepared for this.
“I really believe that we’ve won the quarantine as far as being prepared and the respect for what people were going through and taking that all into consideration,” Bell said.
The next step, according to Bell, will be to go through the protocols with the team and ensure everyone is on the same page.
“First thing we’re going to do is get on a Zoom call with everyone tomorrow morning and run through the protocols,” Bell said. “There’s an educational video from MLB. We need to make sure we’re all on the same page. Once we get here, it will look somewhat normal. We’ll have to keep guys staggered, but we have enough room to move different groups around; keep the groups small. We’re going to try to use the whole building. There’s quite a bit of space here at Great American Ball Park.”
Bell also added that no players have opted out of the upcoming MLB season so far.
The Reds manager said everyone they expected to show up has.