HAMILTON, Ohio (FOX19) - One person is dead after a house fire on Tuesday in Hamilton.
Around 5:15 p.m., Hamilton firefighters were called to a fire in the 400 block of Mill Road, according to Fire Chief Mark Mercer. A man was found on the front porch with severe burns when firefighters arrived.
Alfred Riley, 69, was given immediate treatment and taken from the scene. Riley died after being flown to the hospital.
Riley’s family says he had been trying to throw a malfunctioning electronic blanket out of the house when it caught fire.
The death is hard for the family to grasp. Riley was a father of six, a grandfather of 15 and a great-grandfather of 2wo.
“My grandpa is my best friend since I was little. He’s been like my father figure, cause I didn’t have a dad growing up,” said Mikina Riley.
Mikina says her grandfather was a Vietnam veteran who always had a bubble personality.
“So uplifting,” she said. “All he did was joke. All he did is joke around about everything. He always had a smile on his face. You never seen him down about anything, and even when he was down he didn’t let us see that he was down.”
Riley’s family says his infectious personality is how they want the community to remember him.
“He wouldn’t want to be remembered as this,” Mikina said. “He would want his memory to be how he was, just funny, uplifting.”