Three people rescued from Pleasant Ridge fire

Updated: Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:20 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PLEASANT RIDGE, Ohio (FOX19) - Cincinnati firefighters said they rescued three people from a Pleasant Ridge apartment fire and took one to the hospital in critical condition early Tuesday.

Flames broke out in the 5500 block of Glengate Lane about 2:09 a.m. Firefighters responded to a report of an apartment on fire with an elderly victim inside.

Cincinnati District Fire Chief Warren Weems said they made an aggressive interior attack on the blaze after locating it in the kitchen area and extinguished it within five minutes of arriving on scene.

Fire crews found the fire victim was found on the floor of the apartment and rescued her.

Weems said she was taken to University of Cincinnati Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation, but her son says she has since been released.

The cause was found to be a grease fire on the stove from the woman boiling grease for French fries.

She tried to extinguish the blaze herself, but made it worse, fire officials said.

The victim was carried out of the building by firefighters. She is listed in critical condition because of her age, they said.

No one else was injured, but two residents in the back of the building on the third floor, had to be rescued via ground ladders because of smoke in the hall, Weems said.

The building was ventilated and residents have returned to their apartments.

Only one resident was displaced.

Damage was set at $10,000.

Fire officials say smoke detectors in the building were working.

Copyright 2020 WXIX. All rights reserved.