Family of NKY man seeking answers in 2013 disappearance

Terry Hand is presumed deceased, but his mother and daughter are still searching for answers eight years after he went missing.

Family of Boone County man missing for eight years asking for answers

BOONE COUNTY, Ky. (FOX19) - The family of a man who went missing eight years ago Wednesday making a renewed push for information.

Taylor Hand hasn’t spoken publicly about her father, Terry Hand, since he unexpectedly disappeared on Jan. 6, 2013.

Terry is now considered legally dead, but Taylor still doesn’t have any answers, and she’s hoping someone comes forward with information.

“That would be a blessing to my family, and because he is a father and he is a son. He’s somebody’s brother. I just want somebody to come forward and bring him home.”

Taylor says the anniversary of Terry’s disappearance is both difficult and depressing for her and her grandmother as they remember the man she says loved hunting, fishing and DJing.

“I don’t know who would want to harm my dad,” she told FOX19 NOW, “because my dad was a very friendly person.”

In the days before Terry went missing, Taylor says she called him about plans they had. He never answered.

Then her grandmother told her Terry hadn’t been to work in two days. That’s when she called police to report him missing.

She met officers at Terry’s home on Long Leaf Lane in Florence.

“I looked at [the officer], like, ‘What do you mean he’s not here? His car is in the driveway?’” Taylor recalled. “My heart just stopped.”

Detective Coy Cox is with the Boone County Sheriff’s Office.

“We kinda think that whoever he got in the car with, it was someone he trusted a lot, because it was very unusual for him to do this,” Cox said. “What makes this case so difficult is it’s a ‘no body’ homicide.”

Cox explains there were no signs of a struggle inside Terry’s home.

The sheriff’s office says he was involved in drugs at the time, specifically pills, and also had a history of indebtedness.

Cox says it was hard for the family, especially Terry’s mother, to hear that.

“To her point, if she was sitting here, she would say, ‘I don’t care what he did, he was my son,’” Cox said. “So that’s the important thing to remember.”

Taylor says her grandmother waits by the phone every day “waiting for that one call.”

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click here to report it. Please include title of story.

Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.