Former Hamilton County corrections officer pleads guilty in excessive force case

Former Hamilton County corrections officer pleads guilty in excessive force case
Jason Mize, a former Hamilton County corrections officer, is scheduled to enter a plea in federal court Jan. 12. He's accused of excessive use of force involving an inmate at the Hamilton County Justice Center in 2016. (Source: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office)

CINCINNATI (FOX19) - A former Hamilton County corrections officer accused of using excessive force on a 61-year-old inmate pleaded guilty Tuesday, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Ohio.

Jason Mize, 34, could face up to 10 years in prison for using unreasonable force while acting under the color of law.

According to plea documents, Mize pushed a 61-year-old man who had been arrested and was brought into the Hamilton County Justice Center for processing on Aug. 20, 2016.

Mark Myers hit his head on a concrete wall, suffering cuts on his head and a leg fracture.

Myers filed a federal lawsuit in 2017 against Mize and then-Sheriff Jim Neil, both individually and in their professional capacities. The suit said Mize threw Myers into a wall and left him in a jail cell, bleeding.

Myers’ lawyer told FOX19 NOW in a previous interview Mize was never disciplined for the incident despite three specific prior instances where the corrections officer was found to have used excessive force against individuals in the Justice Center.

He said the lawsuit was a way to try to bring public attention to the issue at the county jail and bring changes.

Hamilton County Commissioners voted in May 2018 to settle the lawsuit for $500,000.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click here to report it. Please include title of story.

Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.