Advertisement

2-year-old NKY boy overdoses on sleeping mother’s Fentanyl, police say

The boy was pronounced dead at Cincinnati Children’s Thursday afternoon.
Lauren Ashley Baker
Lauren Ashley Baker(Kenton County Jail)
Updated: Mar. 18, 2021 at 10:40 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

KENTON COUNTY, Ky. (FOX19) - A 2-year-old Northern Kentucky boy is dead Thursday after consuming Fentanyl that belonged to his sleeping mother, police say.

Ludlow police and fire crews were called to a home in the 200 block of Stokesay Street in Ludlow around 3:34 p.m. for a child not breathing, according to the Ludlow Police Department.

First responders found the boy in respiratory arrest. He was taken to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, where he was declared dead.

An investigation found the child had been home with his mother, whom police have identified as 33-year-old Lauren Ashley Baker.

Baker admitted to getting Fentanyl from Cincinnati, Ohio last Saturday using money from her stimulus check, according to the police report. She brought it back to Ludlow, where she shared it with two people, police say.

At some point Thursday, Baker “took a shot” of Fentanyl and fell asleep, according to the police report. The 2-year-old then ate some of the Fentanyl in her purse while she slept, investigators say.

Baker woke to find the contents of her purse emptied out and the child not breathing, according to the police report. The boy’s father then arrived and called 911, police say.

Baker gave officers some quantity of Fentanyl from her purse, according to police. Investigators also found the substance, believed to be Fentanyl, scattered across the bed, police say. They found empty Narcan packaging at the scene as well.

Baker was arrested and charged with murder, importing Fentanyl and trafficking in a controlled substance.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click here to report it. Please include title of story.

Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.