Reds announce ‘Re-Opening Day’ June 2
Great American Ball Park returns to full capacity June 2.
CINCINNATI (FOX19) - Officials with the Cincinnati Reds and community leaders gathered Thursday at Great American Ball Park to announce festivities planned for Re-Opening Day.
June 2 will mark the Reds returning to full capacity at the ballpark and the end of Ohio’s health orders related to the pandemic.
The Reds will play the Philadelphia Phillies at Great American Ball Park starting at 12:35 p.m.
“It’s not just Re-opening Day because the Reds said so, it’s the reopening of the state of Ohio,” said Reds President and COO Phil Castellini. “It is a very big deal and that’s what we’re here to celebrate today.”
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley and Hamilton County Commission President Stephanie Summerow Dumas proclaimed via a ceremonial resolution that June 2 is a “half-day holiday” and encouraged everyone to come to the Reds game and visit the DORA District at the Banks.
Holy Grail owner Jim Moehring says the actual Opening Day on April 1 just did not feel the same as years past.
With Re-Opening Day, however, it marks the end of the pandemic’s brutal stretch, Moehring says.
“It’s huge for us from our standpoint,” said Moehring. “It’s the end of a brutal 14, 15 months coming out of this pandemic. And the Reds are such great partners of ours that you know, it can’t come soon enough and we are so excited for it.”
Cincinnati Bell CEO Leigh Fox announced that the company is giving employees a half-day and urging them to come downtown to attend the game or to support small businesses.
FC Cincinnati President Jeff Berding said the light fins at TQL Stadium would be illuminated in red on June 1 and June 2 to celebrate Re-Opening Day.
In addition, leaders announced:
- The Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky African American Chamber, and Cincinnati Convention and Visitors Bureau are offering a special discount on tickets to their members, with details to be delivered directly to members today.
- Fountain Square will be a party thanks to 3CDC, who will program the square with bars and will stream the game live on the big screen atop the Foundry Building on Fountain Square.
- The Convention Center, Tyler Davidson Fountain, Fifth Third Bank Building, and other buildings throughout the City will be illuminated in red to support the team on June 1 and June 2.
- Thanks to Bally Sports Ohio, the Reds are giving fans a special $5 ticket offer for Re-Opening Day. Fans can buy $5 View Level tickets now through Monday night. Tickets can be purchased at //reds.com/Bally.
- The DORA District at the Banks will open at 11 a.m. and bars and restaurants will be staffed to accommodate fans and revelers! Bars and restaurants throughout downtown will be encouraged to be open with “Re-Opening Day” specials and activities.
- Everyone in the region is encouraged to wear red on June 2 to support Re-Opening Day.
“No city does Opening Day like Cincinnati! Now that the orders are lifted and summer is almost here, we deserve a Re-Opening Day,” said Jill Meyer, President and CEO of the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber. “We urge everyone to go to the Reds game on June 2, come downtown and celebrate the future, and honor what we have been through together as a community.”
Reds President and COO Phil Castellini said masks and social distancing guidelines will not be in place starting June 2.
Tickets will remain digital and backpack rules will remain in effect.
The Reds are offering $5 tickets for the game.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click here to report it. Please include title of story.
Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.