Gov. DeWine introduces latest Vax-a-Million winners
COLUMBUS, Ohio (FOX19) - Gov. Mike DeWine met Thursday with the latest winners of Ohio’s Vax-a-Million sweepstakes.
Mark Cline from Richwood in Union County won the third $1 million prize.
“This is really good, but I think, more importantly, it’s about getting the vaccine,” Cline said. “I hope everyone makes that decision to get it and looks after their friends and neighbors.”
Sara Afaneh from Sheffield Lake in Lorain County won the third student full-ride scholarship including four years tuition, books, and room and board at an Ohio public university or college.
“We feel so lucky and so blessed that we won, but we’re so lucky that we were able to access the vaccine,” said Summer Afaneh, who is Sara’s mother and is also a nurse.
“There are only two more drawings left, so I urge Ohioans to get the shot and then enter for a shot to win a million dollars or, for those aged 12-17 a chance to a four-year, full-ride scholarship including room, board, tuition and books at an Ohio public college or university,” DeWine said.
Millions of Ohioans entered the drawing to win the $1 million prize, and another 143,604 Ohioans age 12 to 17 entered to win the drawing for a college scholarship.
According to the Ohio Department of Health, there were 3,362,203 adult entries eligible for this week’s million-dollar drawing. A total of 143,604 Ohioans between the ages of 12 and 17 years old entered to win the four-year college scholarship prize.
The number of entries in both groups increased from the previous week with 136,414 additional adult entries and 10,701 additional student entries.
More than 5.3 million Ohioans have started the vaccination process, according to the state.
The first Vax-a-Million winner was Greater Cincinnati resident Abbigail Bugenske. Last week, the winner was a Toledo man who said it was the Vax-a-Million contest itself that motivated him to get vaccinated.
There will be two more drawings for the $1 million or full-ride scholarship to any Ohio college. The final one will be June 23.
To register for the Vax-a-Million drawing, click here, or call 833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
Here are the eligibility requirements for the vaccine sweepstakes:
- You must be at least 12 years old
- Must be a living citizen of the United States and a permanent resident of the State of Ohio.
- Cannot be incarcerated (in prison or jail) for a felony conviction under the laws of this state, another state, or the United States.
- Must not be an employee or officer of the Ohio Lottery Commission, the Ohio Department of Health, or the Ohio Governor’s Office, or any blood relative or spouse of such an employee or officer living as a member of the employee’s or officer’s household.
- Must have received at least the first COVID-19 vaccination if receiving the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose if receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine before the drawing date.
Officials say that winners will be removed from the list to win in the following week’s drawing. Winners will have to provide vaccination records.
If you did not opt-in for the first two drawings, you can still enter ahead of the other drawings.
Those who are eligible for the next drawing have until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 13 to register.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click here to report it. Please include title of story.
Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.