Two injured in Warren County home ‘flash explosion,’ fire officials say
WARREN COUNTY, Ohio (WXIX) - Two people were transported to hospitals after a “flash explosion” at a home in Washington Township, according to fire crews on the scene.
The incident happened in the 10000 block of Wilmington Road just after 1 p.m.
Fire officials said three people were working to install heating equipment in the basement when the “flash explosion” happened.
“The company that’s installing geothermal heat into this structure, they had a flash fire or some explosion of flammable vapors in the basement, caught the basement on fire and the upstairs,” Chief Bob Wysong with the Clinton-Warren Joint Fire District, said. “The explosion was the chemical that they were using to install the plumbing and the piping that goes in the geothermal. It wasn’t the geothermal itself.”
Fire crews said one worker was seriously hurt and was flown to Miami Valley Hospital. A second worker was taken by ambulance to Clinton Memorial Hospital, while the third person did not need treatment.
“The one fella walked himself to the one ambulance, looked like he had some burns below his elbow. I saw the other fella walking up the driveway and had him loaded onto a stretcher and aircared,” Dale Settlemyre, who owns a nearby business, said.
The current conditions and names of the injured workers have not been released.
Fire officials indicated that a family, including young children, lives in the home, but none of them were injured.
“Could’ve been worse,” Wysong said. “They were very lucky.”
According to Wysong, the Hamilton County Hazmat team traveled to the home, along with the state fire marshal, to determine if the property was still dangerous and to decide when it would be safe for the residents to return.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.
Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.