Coroner IDs newborn who died day after mother fatally shot

Antonio Wilcox faces one count of murder
Coroner IDs newborn who died day after mother fatally shot
Published: Jul. 19, 2021 at 8:31 AM EDT|Updated: Jul. 20, 2021 at 3:24 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - A newborn baby delivered Friday when her mother was fatally shot was a girl, according to the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office.

Aaliyah Marie McCoy was one day old when she died Saturday, a coroner’s report shows.

Michelle Marie McDonald, 31, was pregnant when she was shot in the 1800 block of 1st Avenue in West Price Hill about 6:30 p.m. Friday, according to Cincinnati police.

McDonald was taken to the University of Cincinnati Hospital, where police say she died shortly before 10 p.m.

Police say McDonald’s baby was delivered as doctors fought to save her.

However, despite efforts from medical staff and police, the baby died Saturday.

Antonio Wilcox, 37, was arrested on a murder charge in connection with “purposely” causing McDonald’s death.

He is held at the Hamilton County Justice Center and appeared in court Saturday.

Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Berti Helmick set his bond at $250,000, court records show.

As for charges regarding the baby’s death, Cincinnati Police Assistant Chief Lisa Davis said the homicide team is waiting to hear back from the grand jury.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said his office will try to bring justice to McDonald’s family.

“This is a tragic loss of life. My office will do everything in our power to deliver justice to the victims’ family,” Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said.

Antonio Wilcox
Antonio Wilcox(Hamilton County Sheriff's Office)

Family members say Wilcox was the baby’s father.

The two were also in a relationship, according to police.

Assistant Cincinnati Police Chief Lisa Davis wrote on Twitter that she wants Wilcox held accountable for these two deaths.

“We all need to speak more on this. The media, the police, everybody,” Davis said. “This is something that could’ve been prevented. I mean, when you look at it that way when you see his violence and violent history.”

Court documents show that Wilcox “pushed a victim in her face, then pulled out a gun and fired it,” in 2009.

Charges of domestic violence and endangering children against Wilcox were dismissed in 2010.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.