Advertisement

Teen critically hurt in Covington quadruple shooting faces long road to recovery

Teen injured in NKY quadruple shooting facing long road to recovery, aunt says
Published: Apr. 7, 2022 at 5:02 PM EDT|Updated: Apr. 8, 2022 at 5:49 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COVINGTON, Ky. (WXIX) - A 14-year-old girl critically hurt in a quadruple shooting in Covington did not deserve what happened to her and faces a long road to recovery, one of her relatives says.

Wrayvette, 14, was one of the four people shot on April 4.

Two other juveniles and one of the suspects were also shot.

“My niece is a beautiful, vibrant 14-year-old child who doesn’t deserve the pain and recovery that she is in and will have to face in the future,” Wrayvette’s aunt wrote in a prepared statement.

The family has set up a GoFundMe account to help provide the teen’s father with financial support and “any current and future medical needs.”

So far, just over $3,000 has been raised from 88 donations toward their $10,000 goal.

“This was a tragic ‘wrong place, wrong time’ incident that should’ve never happened,” the GoFundMe page says.

“My niece was shot through her neck, in her hand and in her leg. Thanking God she has woke up, has been slightly responsive but is still unable to move or speak. By the grace of God she is ALIVE.

“She however is going to have an extremely long road of recovery that her father and the rest of the family just aren’t prepared for financially. We are asking for help. This money will go towards her rehabilitation, lost wages, potentially an apartment as they are currently living with family.

“We are financially in need of help to support Wrayvette and her recovery and her father and 5 siblings as they navigate the future with helping Wrayvette recover. All donations are appreciated.”

As Wrayvette remains in the hospital, one of the two suspects arrested in connection with the shooting, Thomas Brown, 41, appeared in court on Thursday.

A Hamilton County judge told Brown during an extradition hearing he would be transported to the Kenton County jail to face riot, assault and handgun charges.

>> Man charged in shooting of Covington children escalated fistfight with gunfire, police say <<

Shots rang out about 6:45 p.m. Monday night in Covington as dozens gathered to watch two teen girls fight, according to Brown’s arrest warrant filed in Kenton County District Court.

Investigators determined Brown was the first person to fire his gun, Covington police say.

They identify the other suspected shooter as 17-year-old Taquan Estes.

Estes was at large for more than 24 hours following the shooting.

FOX19 NOW was at the Covington Police Department when Estes turned himself in earlier this week.

Estes appeared in juvenile court in northern Kentucky on Thursday.

Kenton County Commonwealth’s Attorney Rob Sanders said he anticipates the teen will be sent to adult court.

His transfer hearing is set for April 27.

Justin Smith says he was a mentor to Estes in 2021 while the teen was in the juvenile center.

“I don’t condone gun violence at all, but from the type of environment that he’s from and the kids that come in there and stuff,” Smith explained, “A lot of them are from the same area, and they’re all in there for the same thing.”

There were two other juveniles injured in Monday’s shot are expected to be ok, according to police.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2022 WXIX. All rights reserved.