Bond reduced for man indicted in deadly Fairfield Township Walmart shooting

Published: Jun. 3, 2022 at 1:48 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FAIRFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WXIX) - Bond has been reduced to $1.2 million for the man accused of killing one person and injuring another at a Fairfield Township Walmart.

Anthony Brown, 32, who originally had his bond set at $5 million, pleaded not guilty on Friday.

When he first appeared in court for the alleged crime, his attorney, Clyde Bennett II, called the $5 million bond “unconstitutional.” Bennett said then he would challenge the bond amount.

“It’s not actually the bond that we wanted but I think it’s more consistent with the law,” Bennett said Friday. “So, I am pleased with the judge’s decision.”

The 32-year-old is indicted on charges of aggravated murder, murder, aggravated robbery, felonious assault and having weapons under disability.

Fairfield Township police released bodycam video on Friday showing the moments officers arrived on scene. (Watch the video in the playlist above)

“This defendant [Brown] who stands before you, took the life of an innocent person,” Butler County Assistant Prosecutor Katie Pridemore said in court. “He shot and critically injured a second person. A person who was in ICU for days.”

Adam Lee Black, 35, died at the scene of the shooting on May 26, according to the Butler County Coroner’s Office.

The Fairfield Township police incident report says Black was shopping at the store around 8 p.m. when Brown fired gunshots during a robbery attempt.

Kali Soaper says she witnessed Brown running down the aisle with the merchandise. She remembers vividly Black shouting to her as he lay dying, instructing her not to get up, to stay on the ground.

“I don’t think I’ll ever stop replaying Adam’s voice in my head,” she said Friday night. “He was very brave, and I want his fiancé to know that.”

MORE COVERAGE | Fairfield police report reveals new details in deadly Walmart shooting

A Walmart employee was shot in the chest and taken to UC West Chester Hospital in critical condition, police said. He was released from the ICU on Thursday, according to Pridemore.

“And we have video of the produce section of Walmart where [Brown] ends up shooting both of our innocent victims,” claimed Pridemore.

Brown fled the scene of the shooting but was taken into custody in Middletown around 4 a.m. on May 27.

The prosecutor says police were able to track Brown to the Fairfield Inn in Middletown through his cell phone.

Brown will be back in court on July 26.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2022 WXIX. All rights reserved.