Police: Dayton shooter captured in Kansas; 4 dead including teenage girl

Police described a ‘startling’ video that surfaced on the internet following the shootings.
Published: Aug. 6, 2022 at 1:49 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DAYTON, Ohio (FOX19) - The prime suspect in two shootings that left four people dead in the Dayton area Friday has been arrested.

Stephen Marlow, 39, was taken into custody in Kansas by the Lawrence Police Department, according to Butler Township Police Chief John Porter.

Extradition arrangements will be made, Porter said late Saturday.

Marlow’s arrest brings to a close a multi-state manhunt that lasted more than 24 hours following Friday morning’s shooting in Butler Township north of Dayton.

Porter previously identified the dead as Clyde and Eva Knox as well as Sarah Anderson and her daughter, Kayla Anderson. Kayla was a student at Vandalia-Butler High School.

Marlow faces four counts of aggravated murder in Montgomery County. A state arrest warrant was also issued Friday. On Saturday, the US District Court for the Southern District of Ohio issued a federal arrest warrant on a charge of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

Porter said Marlow drove to Interstate 70 following the shooting and headed west out of Ohio. Law enforcement agencies in multiple states were placed on high alert. Morrow was believed to have ties to Indianapolis, Chicago and Lexington, according to the FBI.

The police chief described a TikTok video created by Marlow that investigators have verified as legitimate. The FBI poster for Marlow (below) contains a still photo (far right) from the video in question.

Video linked here. WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.

“Our team is well aware that there is a video of Mr. Marlow that has surfaced on the internet,” Porter said prior to Marlow’s arrest. “Our investigators have determined that this video was published sometime after yesterday’s incident. We understand the ideas and language in the video are startling, and that is why our investigators are working around the clock to ensure Mr. Marlow is brought into custody.”

The police chief pleaded for Marlow to turn himself in.

“If I can speak for a moment to Mr. Marlow, I have a message for you,” he said Saturday afternoon. “I want you to know that we want to help you. You have the ability to resolve this situation peacefully if you turn yourself in to law enforcement as soon as possible. Again, we want to end this peacefully. Now is the right time to call 911 and turn yourself in.”

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2022 WXIX. All rights reserved.