Cincinnati police kill loose dog after it bites 3 including officer

The dog is now being tested for rabies and infections.
Published: Sep. 28, 2023 at 11:33 AM EDT|Updated: Sep. 28, 2023 at 11:37 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Cincinnati police fatally shot a loose dog after it bit three people including an officer, a police spokesman says.

The officer and one of the two citizens who were hurt were taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the police spokesman, Lt. Jonathan Cunningham.

The other civilian who was bitten “self-treated a bite wound,” he said.

It happened in the 8000 block of Vine Street around 8:40 a.m. Thursday. Officers responded to a report of a person being bitten by a black German Shepard outside the Hartwell Recreation Center.

While police were en route, the same dog bit a second person, he said.

“When officers arrived, several attempts were made to get the dog isolated from the general public. During that time, the dog charged at one of our officers, latching onto their leg and biting them,” Lt. Cunningham said in a statement.

“Subsequently, that officer fired their service weapon, discharging two rounds at the dog. The dog has been pronounced deceased.”

Police say it took the Hamilton County Dog Warden nearly 20 minutes to arrive.

“You only have two on-duty dog wardens in the whole county, so it’s typical that they take a while to get there,” FOP president and retired sergeant Dan Hils said.

Ray Anderson, the community engagement manager at Cincinnati Animal CARE, also serves as the spokesman for the Hamilton County Dog Warden. He says, ideally, the team would like to have 15-20 employees. At this time, they only have nine.

Hils says while it’s sad the dog lost its life they’re thankful no one was seriously hurt.

Now they want to find out who owns the dog.

“At this time, we have no clear indication of who the dog belongs to. We’ve interviewed witnesses and we’re still trying to find out. There’s no microchip, no collar with tags. I don’t even believe the dog was neutered.”

The dog is now in Columbus being tested for rabies and infections.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please click here to report it.

Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.