CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - The day after Thanksgiving is the single busiest day of the year for Roto-Rooter's residential plumbers.
Big meal preparations and clean up can lead to unwanted waste in the kitchen's drain and garbage disposal along holiday guests who require additional laundry, showers and toilet flushes put a strain on household plumbing.
"Often, the cases is that a house already has partially clogged drains that go unnoticed, until holiday guests arrive and overwhelm the system," said Paul Abrams, Roto-Rooter representative.
Incoming calls to Roto-Rooter for kitchen jobs alone will jump 50% above average on Black Friday.
Roto-Rooter provided the following tips for Thanksgiving hosts:
- Never pour fats or cooking oils down drains
- Avoid putting stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal (skins, celery, fruit and potato peels)
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it
- For homes hosting weekend guests, wait at least 15 minutes between showers
- Never flush cotton balls, swabs, hair or facial scrub pads down the toilet
- Address plumbing problems before the holiday and before guests arrive
- Always know your limits