Update: Police ID two drivers killed in U.S. 50 crash

Published: Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM EST|Updated: Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

STONELICK TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - Police say that slick roads are to blame for a deadly multiple vehicle accident Friday morning in Clermont County.

The crash happened around 6:45 a.m. on U.S. 50 near the intersection of State Route 222 in Stonelick Township. Four vehicles and a semi-trailer truck were involved in the accident.

Following a preliminary investigation, police believe a semi-tractor trailer headed eastbound, driven by 60-year-old Michael Simpson, was going up a hill when the trailer dislodged from its tractor. Police said the box trailer went left of center into the westbound lane.

Police say that 43-year-old Michael Brown of Williamsburg was driving a Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck in the opposite direction when he reportedly sideswiped the trailer. Brown's vehicle continued westbound before hitting a guardrail on the right side of the road. Police say Brown's truck then went across and off the left side of the road, hitting an eastbound 2002 blue Ford F-150 in the process. Officers say Brown's vehicle eventually came to rest in a ditch.

Officers say at this time, a fourth vehicle was heading westbound on the road. Authorities say that a maroon Dodge Ram, driven by 39-year-old Shawn Wilson, struck the front end of the trailer that was still in the roadway. A fifth vehicle then struck Wilson's truck that was lodged into the front of the trailer.

Michael Brown and Shawn Wilson were pronounced dead at the scene by the Clermont County Coroner.

Police said neither driver was wearing a seatbelt.

A female driver was taken to Bethesda North Hospital where she was treated and released. The drivers of the semi-truck and the Ford F-150 were not hurt.

Alcohol or drug impairment was not suspected in the accident. The crash remains under investigation by the Ohio State Highway Patrol - Batavia Post.

U.S. 50 remained closed for several hours during cleanup and an investigation by authorities. The area reopened just before 2 p.m.

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.