Warren County Sheriff: Deputy shot 'was incredible'

Deerfield Twp. press conference
Published: Jun. 10, 2016 at 2:21 AM EDT|Updated: Jun. 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Deputy Katie Barnes (Provided photo)
Deputy Katie Barnes (Provided photo)
Mohammed Abdou Laghaoui (Provided by the Warren County Sheriff's Office)
Mohammed Abdou Laghaoui (Provided by the Warren County Sheriff's Office)
The entrance to the Orchards of Landen apartment complex remains blocked off by law enforcement...
The entrance to the Orchards of Landen apartment complex remains blocked off by law enforcement early Friday. (FOX19 NOW/Jordan Vilines)

DEERFIELD TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - The suspected gunman accused of shooting a Warren County Sheriff's deputy and his own father overnight, setting off a massive manhunt, is under arrest on four felony charges.

Mohammed Abdou Laghaoui, 19, was booked into the Warren County Jail about 7 a.m. Friday on two counts of felonious assault and one count of attempted aggravated murder.

Warren County Sheriff's deputies began looking for Laghaoui after they responded twice to a domestic situation at Orchard of Landen apartment complex Thursday night, sheriff's officials said.

Deputy Katie Barnes was called twice to the same location, said Warren County Sheriff Larry Sims in a morning press conference.

The initial call was for Laghaoui allegedly threatening to shoot and kill his father and brother.

"She spent almost 45 minutes talking to these individuals to determine if they were going to file charges and if some arrests would be made," Sims said. "The two individuals decided that they were not going to cooperate and did not want to file charges against Mohammed, so she left."

It appears the two men didn't know Laghaoui was armed, the sheriff said.

Nearly an hour later, deputies were called back out for a complaint that Laghaoui's punched his father in the face and there were continued threats. The deputy responded within three minutes of the call.

As she walked to the steps of the building, Laghaoui was standing at the top of the steps and immediately opened fire with an AK-47 assault rifle.

The deputy returned fire four times with her service revolver, according to the sheriff.

Laghaoui chased her and kept shooting, Sims said, adding that at least six spent rounds were found.

The deputy was hit in the lower abdomen, just underneath her bulletproof vest. At first, she didn't realize she was hit.

"Within a minute, she is calling for help, she is reeling from the shots being fired at her, she is returning fire and initially, unbeknownst to her, she is struck by one of the rounds," the sheriff said.

She was able to eventually scramble over a barrier wall, where another deputy found her when he arrived and took her to safety, Sims said.

Laghaoui's father was found shot in the hand.

Laghaoui,meanwhile, ran off, launching a massive overnight manhunt that involved several police agencies and helicopters that circled overhead. K9s also joined the search.

Police looked for him between Davis Road and Fields Ertel Road.

Laghaoui was described as having Middle-Eastern descent, according to the sheriff's office. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, a navy shirt and green O'Reilly Auto Parts baseball hat.

Calling him an active shooter, sheriff's officials urged residents to remain in their homes in what's called a "shelter-in-place advisory."

Those who were not home at the time of the shooting were not permitted to return until Laghaoui was taken into custody about 4:30 a.m.

He returned on foot to the apartment complex and was spotted by deputies. He was compliant and taken into custody without incident, Sims said.

The deputy was taken to University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where she was treated and released.

She is home with her family recovering. She has been with the sheriff's office 7.5 years and started in corrections.

Sims praised her, saying she responded appropriately and would return to duty when she recovered: "She was incredible."

Laghaoui's father also was taken to the hospital, where he underwent surgery for what was described as a non-life threatening injury

The Warren County SWAT team was mobilized but was not going to be deployed until a location of the suspect is determine, officials confirmed to FOX19 NOW.

A witness told FOX19 NOW that he heard gunshots that sounded like fireworks.

The witness, Brad Thumudo, said he went outside to see what was going on and a police officer told Thumudo to get back inside because there was an active shooter with an AK-47 rifle.

Laghaoui is scheduled to go to court Monday.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.