Chief on fatal shooting: This was a vicious, violent attack on officer

Officer-involved shooting ruled 'justified'
Jawari Porter, provided by Cincinnati Police.
Jawari Porter, provided by Cincinnati Police.
The knife used in the attack, provided by Cincinnati Police.
The knife used in the attack, provided by Cincinnati Police.

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac says a robbery suspect staged a "viciously, violent attack" on a police officer before being shot and killed Sunday.

Isaac and Mayor John Cranley released more information Monday about the officer-involved shooting in the downtown Central Business District.

The suspect, identified as 25-year-old Jawari Porter, was armed with a knife when he rushed an officer through the open door of a police cruiser, according to Isaac. The officers had been pursuing Porter in connection with a robbery at the Vine Street Kroger.

"Recognizing the threat, the officer immediately drew his firearm as the subject entered his car door and repeatedly attempted to stab him," said Isaac.

District One Officer Tony Brucato fired six shots at Porter.

The incident was captured on video, but a subpoena by Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters kept the department from releasing the footage.

[Video shows aftermath of fatal officer-involved shooting downtown]

Prior to confronting police, Porter robbed the Kroger on Vine Street and pulled a knife on a security officer around 7:30 a.m., according to Isaac.

Porter had already fled when Brucato and another officer responded to the store. They watched security video and broadcast a description of the suspect. The officers spotted Porter about 10 minutes later in the area of Fifth Street and Government Square.

Before they could exit the cruiser, the suspect attacked with a folding, lock-blade style knife, Isaac said.

"The video ultimately will show you that this man tried to kill a Cincinnati police officer 'viciously' - as the chief just stated," said Cranley.

The mayor said he "looks forward" to the public being able to view video of the incident. He said Deters plans to make the court process as quick as possible.

Once available, Isaac said the video will immediately be released.

Last year, Porter was ruled incompetent to stand trial for assault and resisting arrest charges, according to Hamilton County court documents. He was ordered into mental health treatment for trying to attack an assault victim after police used stun guns, according to a July 2015 police affidavit.

This is the city's fourth fatal, police-involved shooting this year.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.