Sheriff: 3-year-old abused by babysitter 'hanging on by a thread'

Babysitter accused of abuse out of jail on bond
Published: Mar. 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM EDT|Updated: Mar. 12, 2018 at 6:23 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Hannah Wesche (Photo: Facebook)
Hannah Wesche (Photo: Facebook)
Hannah Wesche (Photo: Kaitlyn Wesche)
Hannah Wesche (Photo: Kaitlyn Wesche)
Family members have been posting messages of support on Facebook, including this photo from...
Family members have been posting messages of support on Facebook, including this photo from Hannah's sister. (Photo: Kaitlyn Wesche)

HAMILTON, OH (FOX19) - A babysitter is charged with abusing a 3-year-old girl so severely, the toddler's family says she is brain dead.

"This little girl is hanging on by a thread.  Cases like this rip your heart out.  I don't understand why or how anyone harms a child," Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones said Monday.

Lindsay Partin, 35, of Hanover Township, was being held at the Butler County Jail on charges of felonious assault and endangering children.

She posted a $30,000 cash bond and was released from jail between 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. Monday.

She struck and shook Hannah Wesche, causing "serious physical harm" Thursday at Partin's residence in the 4000 block of Shank Road in Hanover Township, sheriff's officials said.

Partin called 911 and told a dispatcher that Hannah was unconscious shortly after her father dropped her off about 7 a.m.

"I babysit kids. He just drooped her off and all of a sudden she just passed out," she said.

"Who's passed out?" He asked.

"The little girl. She's 3. She fell pretty bad yesterday and she's been fine and then all of a sudden he dropped her off this morning and she walked in and kind of passed out, she went limp."

"Are you with her now?"

"Yes, Hurry she's bad. There's something wrong."

"Is she awake right now?"

"Yes," she said, crying.

First responders found her unresponsive, with labored breathing and obvious bruises about her head and face, the sheriff's office said in a prepared statement.

Hannah was taken from the home to Fort Hamilton Hospital and then flown to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, where she remains in critical condition with life threatening injuries.

"I mean it unimaginable. I can't begin to explain the feeling of losing a child at the hands of this….of just a violent act. Hannah was great... I can't," her father, Jason Wesche said.

After further investigation, detectives and hospital personnel noted additional bruising on her body.

Partin admitted to striking the child and stated she had fallen and struck her head on the concrete garage floor the previous day, sheriff's officials said.

"We just want to stress that this situation is devastating. She is not expected to survive," Hannah's father said in Butler County Area 2 Court Monday morning during Partin's brief video arraignment from county jail.

"Within the next couple of days we are told that it's going to come to an end."

The sheriff urged parents to make sure they know who is watching their kids.

"Get background checks, talk to neighbors, friends and family members before letting anyone watch your children, know who you are leaving your babies with," the sheriff said.

Copyright 2018 WXIX. All rights reserved.