OVER-THE-RHINE, OH (FOX19 NOW/AP) - Cincinnati and Hamilton County leaders have agreed to a permanent county-wide ban of homeless camps on public and private property, court papers released Monday show.
Meanwhile, residents at a homeless camp on private property in Over-the-Rhine told FOX19 NOW Monday they aren't going anywhere.
That's an about-face from remarks by homeless advocate Josh Spring. He told the Associated Press over the weekend the group will leave.
A hearing set for Monday morning to discuss the homeless camp ban was canceled and court records were released showing officials entered into the agreement last week, on Thursday.
Earlier this month, Hamilton Common Pleas Court Judge Robert Ruehlman barred the camps from public land unless there is no space for homeless in local shelters.
Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters went to the courts three times in recent weeks to shut down the homeless camp, chasing it from Third Street to Central Parkway to Eden Park Drive to their current location on privately-owned land at 13th and Republic streets.
Advocate Josh Spring told the Associated Press the group has been "chased by the city and the county" and has nowhere else to go.
Spring said it'll be more difficult for services to reach homeless individuals after they've scattered and some have gone into hiding.