Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
Karri Perry, Blue Ribbon Favorites
Oven: 425 degrees-preheated
Bakes 10-12 minutes
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese-grated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Egg wash-1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp Flake sea salt
- Allow pastry sheets to defrost slightly so they are pliable.
- Working on a parchment-lined baking sheet, open one puff pastry sheet, and turn it so that the puff pastry sheet is longer horizontally.
- Use a rolling pin, flatten and seal seams with just a few rolls.
- Fill the top half of the sheet with 1/2 cup of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper.
- Fold the empty half of the puff pastry onto the cheese and press the dough together. You’ll have a rectangle of dough with cheese in between the layers.
- Using the egg wash, gently brush the dough (you’ll only use about 1-2 tsp of egg wash)
- Sprinkle the egg-washed dough with
- 2 Tbs of cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
- Cut the dough into 8 strips.
- Twist and gently stretch each piece of dough. Be sure to leave 1-2 inches between each piece of dough, dough will puff during baking.
- Sprinkle all the dough pieces with about 1/2 tsp of flake sea salt.
- Place baking sheet with the prepared dough into the freezer for 5 minutes—this is an important step-it really helps them to bake up beautifully.
- In a preheated 425 degree oven, place the chilled cheese filled twists on the middle rack.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes, and check to see that they are puffed and golden. Depending on the oven, they make bake an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Let baked cheese straws cool on a baking sheet. They will firm up as they cool.
- Repeat the process for the second pastry sheet.